Factors That Can Change Existing Child Visitation and Custody Arrangements

When you file for divorce and have minor children, the court will make a decision regarding who gets primary custody of those children. The court will also help you work out a visitation plan that allows the noncustodial parent to see and spend time with those children. Even if you have an arrangement already in place, you may want to look at some factors that can change that agreement.

One Parent Moves

Child visitation Hillsborough County agreements can change when one parent moves. If you have primary custody and need to move for work, you will need to petition the court to change your existing order. The noncustodial parent can challenge your move and claim that he or she cannot easily travel to see the children in your new city. You may find that the judge requires you to pay your former spouse’s travel to your new city or that you need to allow your children to spend more time with that parent.


Changes to the Children

Though child visitation agreements often work well when the kid is younger, those same plans may not work as the child ages. When your younger child becomes a teenager, he or she may have more commitments that keep the teenager from spending as much time with the noncustodial parent as the child did before. Visitation orders can also change because a younger child has more activities than before or because that child does not want to see the noncustodial parent as often.


Issues with One Parent

Your order can also change because of issues with your former spouse. A good example is an individual who refuses to follow the court order. That parent may show up late, arrive early to pick up the children or never show up at all. If you worry that your former spouse cannot follow the agreed upon order, you need to talk to a lawyer and then talk to the court. The judge who oversees your case can make changes to the existing court order to help the children involved.

Related Posts